Frequent Ask Questions (FAQS)

  • Q. Is Southern University Bangladesh accredited?
    A. In Bangladesh there is no official accredited body yet, but University Grants Commission (UGC) is the highest controlling authority to oversee all activities about Government and non Government University.
    Q. Is Southern University Bangladesh approved from Ministry of Education?
    Yes, in the year 2003 Ministry of Education approved Southern University and UGC approved its courses.
    Q. Is Southern University authorized to issue degrees?
    A. Southern University is officially approved by the Ministry of Education of Bangladesh and is authorized to grant degrees at Bachelor and Masters levels.
    Q. When was Southern University established?
    A. Southern University was established in 1998 , as an affiliated institute of UK, USA . In 2003 got approval from Ministry of Education as Non Government University in Chittagon Bangladesh.
    Q. Are Southern University degrees recognized in other countries or by other universities?
    A. Employers in most countries around the world recognize Southern University degrees. However, foreign governments are under no obligation to declare recognition of Southern University degrees. Each university has its own policy concerning the recognition of credits earned at other universities. To determine recognition by other universities,students should contact the other schools regarding their specific policy concerning acceptance of credits earned at Southern University.
    Q. Does Southern offer distance learning programs and on-campus programs?
    A. Southern University do not offers distance education programs, we offers only on-campus programs.

    Q. Does Southern University accept credits earned at other universities? If so, how many?
    A. Yes, it is possible to transfer credits earned at other recognized educational institutions. Only courses in which you have earned at least a grade of “C” grade or better will be accepted. The number of credits accepted varies with the student’s degree program.
    Q. What type of testing must I take to be accepted for admission to Southern University?
    A. Students whose spoken and written language is not English must score above 500 on TOEFL or 5.5 on IELTS prior to admission to Southern University programs .
    Q. Does Southern University offer financial assistance to students?
    A. Southern University offers students convenient monthly installment plans to match their budget. Students who pay in full at the beginning of their program receive a tuition discount. Financial aid is available from the university subject to students academic performance and financial status .
    Q.Does Southern University issue academic transcripts?
    A. Yes, Southern issues official academic transcripts after the student successfully completes all his or her courses. Records of academic progress are also kept, and interim transcripts may be issued to the student following completion of course work for any semester.
    Q. Who are the faculty of Southern University?
    A. The university faculty consists of a wide variety of adjunct professors from reputed universities as well as Southern’s own fulltime professors. All professors have established credentials as teachers and have been selected for their range of both practical and academic experience.
    Q. How do the students pay their application and tuition fees?
    A. Fees can be paid by check, money order, credit card or wire transfer.
    Q. Can I earn more than one degree from Southern University?
    A. Certainly. In fact, a student could begin by earning the Bachelors and Masters degrees to reach his or her educational goals. Southern exists to help you reach your full potential and achieve your academic goals. We pledge to make your educational experience as efficient and rewarding as possible.
    Q. What is the language of instruction at Southern University?
    A. Programs are generally delivered in English using English language textbooks.
    Q. Do students need to send official transcripts and diplomas earned at other educational institutions?
    A. Yes. All applicants for admission to Southern should provide official transcripts, translated into English and notarized or attested by an appropriate government official. The student must submit copies of all diplomas they have earned. These documents enable the Academic Committee to approve enrollment in programs and to assign transfer credit for previous academic achievements. Each degree program requires different documentation; we have included an Applicant Check list to help you in submitting all the correct documents with your Application for Admission. To prevent delays in processing your application, be sure to submit all required documents in one complete package.

    Q. How do students communicate with faculty and staff at Southern University?
    A. Faculty and staff are available to assist students with their programs, advise about courses and curriculum and to help the students succeed. Communication may be accomplished in a number of ways.

    Committed to Academic Excellence